Why Should I Buy the Best Yoga Mat?
Yoga has been practiced in different parts of the world for years. Its success depends on the quality of mats yogis buy. If you are a yogi, this article will help you choose the best yoga mat.
A yoga mat is one of the accessories that your coach will require before you start your classes. That applies whether you have a virtual online coach or go to a physical yoga studio for training. As the name suggests, it is a mat that you spread on the surface to offer you a perfect condition for all the yoga tricks you will be practicing.
You need a yoga mat if you want to do successful yoga. These mats are designed to provide cushioning and traction as you pose. It is a necessity for any yoga practice.
While you can just rent a yoga mat, a regular yogi should buy one. Many advantages come with your own, including convenience. You don’t have to wait for someone else for your yoga practice. Also, you can practice at any time you want.
But how do you buy a yoga mat? To beginners, that can be a daunting task. There are many factors to consider for the best yoga mat. Quality and properties vary from product to product, which can be confusing.
If you want to buy the best yoga mat, this post is to help you. Let’s start with factors to consider or qualities of a perfect yoga mat and end with our recommendations.
Factors To Consider When Buying the Best Yoga Mat
Searching for yoga mats in any online store will reveal a list of possible products, but you don’t just want to buy anything. You deserve the best. We have done the research for you by considering all the positive qualities of perfect yoga.
- Eco-friendliness – This is the first factor to consider. That is because we are now more environmentally conscious. Choose a yoga mat that reduces your environmental footprints while still giving the best. Natural rubber mats are the best choice.
- Size – How big or small your yoga mat depends on your preference, but you should get enough space for any pose. Also, you may want to consider the thickness. About 1/8 inches thick yoga mats are recommendable. They offer solid contact with the floor as needed for strong, flowing practices.
- Weight – How heavy your yoga mat is will matter when you have to move it from place to place. It is not a significant factor if you have a specific room for yoga where the mat will stay permanently.
- Grip and traction – You are likely to sweat on the feet and hands. So, the yoga mat you choose should provide you with the grip and traction you need, even for the demanding poses.
- Surface texture – Your yoga mat should be smooth and comfortable to your hand and feet. You don’t need a rough texture that will disrupt you from your yoga exercise.
- Durability – Most yoga mats can last a decade but don’t be carried away with this notion. Take your time to choose a product with a long lifespan.
- Odor – Some products produce an odor that may be unpleasant. The smell may persist or go away after some time. Whichever the case, you may want to avoid them.
- Aesthetics – Choose an attractive yoga mat if you care much about curb appeal. But that should not deter you from buying the best product with all other positive qualities.
List Of The 8 Best Yoga Mats
It is now time to tell you our best pick. There are many products in the market, but we recommend any of the following yoga mats for your exercise:Our Top Pick: LIFORME Original Yoga Mat
LIFORME is the overall best yoga mat on our list for the right reasons. Even though it will drain your pocket compared to others on this list, LIFORME gives you the best value.
LIFORME is bigger in size compared to many yoga mats in the market. You get enough space for any yoga pose. Also, it has alignment markers to guide you as a beginner, while experts can nail their performance with it.
The LIFORME yoga mat has the grip and traction you need to keep your feet and hand in place, even if you sweat. It is also one of the eco-friendly yoga mats on this list.
- Super grippy
- Heavy due to its massive size
Best On Budget: IUGA Pro Non-Slip Yoga Mat
If your budget won’t allow you to buy our best pick, the IUGA yoga mat is your affordable option. IUGA still boasts the best grip, durability, and comfort.
IUGA is also eco-friendly and odorless. It is made from sustainably harvested tree rubber. And unlike other yoga mats, this particular product has no smell whatsoever.
IUGA is designed to provide cushioning and stability for your yoga poses while remaining affordable.
- Highly portable
- Offers tight grip
- May stain
- Not enough contact with the floor
Best Non-Slip: Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
Non-slip yoga mats are hot cakes in the yoga community, which Manduka offers. It is an ultra-thick, high-performance grip yoga mat for extreme yogis. You can buy this product for gym, studio, or home use.
Manduka offers ultra-dense cushioning for superior support, stability, and joint protection. It is designed with every yoga pose in mind and provides you the best on any surface.
Manduka yoga mats are manufactured through closed-cell technology that makes them absorb sweat and moisture. You get a constant grip.
- Comes in various options
- High grip and traction
- Easy to maintain and clean
Best For Meditation: Balance From GoYoga
If you want to mix yoga and meditation, choose Balance From GoYoga. This all-purpose yoga mat is very affordable and has all features you want for different yoga practices.
The small size of Balance From GoYoga is compensated by its thickness. It has an extra ½-inch thickness for premium comfort to your spine, hips, knees, and elbows against the hard floor. This yoga mat also has a non-slip property to prevent possible injuries.
Balance From GoYoga can be easily washed clean with soap and water. Its moisture-resistant property will ensure it dries just on time for use.
- Many color options to choose from
- Comes with a carrying strap
- Less durable
- Has occasional squeaks
Best All-Purpose: Alo Yoga Warrior Mat
Alo Yoga Warrior Mat is designed for any task you put it to. It is spacious and perfectly cushioned to protect your joints and absorb moisture during those sweaty sequences. It will offer you the grip you need for every pose.
Alo Yoga Warrior Mat is 100% formaldehyde-free, non-toxic, and PVC-free. It is made of natural rubber and a top layer of polyurethane leather.
- PVC and formaldehyde-free
- Stains easily
Best For Tall Yogis: Lululemon the Reversible (Big) Mat 5mm
Some people are so tall that the standard-size yoga mats may not be efficient. If you blow to that group of tall yogis, Lululemon is the product for you. It is extra-large to give you room for a full stretch out during yoga practice.
Lululemon is mainly natural rubber with a polyurethane top layer to absorb moisture. That ensures you get the grip even when you sweat and the rubber offers cushioning. The manufacturers also added antibacterial components to prevent mold and mildew growth on the mat.
However, you should not buy this product if you are allergic to rubber or latex.
- Has rubber scent
Best For Sustainability Minded Yogis: JADE Harmony Yoga Mat
JADE Harmony Yoga Mat is the most recommended choice for environmental activists. The manufacturer gives back to mother nature with every piece sold. It is proactive in planting more trees and conserving the environment for future generations.
Besides, JADE Harmony Yoga Mat offers yogis the firm grip they need for any hot exercise. The natural rubber used provides traction and more cushioning. The mat is designed with quality materials to last and give superior performance ideal for any activity and occasion.
- Many color options to choose from
- Relatively affordable
- Rubber smell
Best For Travel: Manduka eKO Superlite Travel Yoga Mat
If you are a yogi who travels a lot, Manduka eKO is your best bet. This yoga mat is made of lightweight material to enhance portability. It is also small and can be easily rolled up to take up a small space when packing.
Manduka eKO is one of the best yoga mats for yoga, hot yoga, pilates, or any fitness class. It absorbs moisture and is designed with rippled surface texture to offer superior traction. Also, the closed-cell technology prevents sweat from penetrating the mat.
Manduka eKO is made of natural rubber that is sustainably sourced.
- Firm grip and high traction