Remember the few occasions when you lost, misplaced your keys and did not remember where you hid them. Or fumbling through a bunch of keys trying to find the right one for that door? We can all agree on the level of frustration and disappointment going through these unpleasant moments. It is time to shift to smart locks to avoid the inconvenience and frustrations brought about by these kind of moments.
Smart locks offer top tier security, and are much more convenient as compared to traditional locks. In this article, we shall look at different parameters of the smart locks and the best smart locks you should consider buying. But, first, what are things to consider before buying smart locks.
What to Consider When Buying a Smart Lock?
There are several types of smart locks and all come with different features. There are several factors to look at when buying a smart lock for your doors. For instance, the type of your door, the features of the smart door, and the security composition of the doors. Here are the key factors to consider when looking for smart locks.
1.Whether to Buy a Smart Lock with Camera?
Some brands of smart locks in the market are integrated with security camera. The camera allows you to see who is in the door before you can let them in.
A smart lock camera enhances the security of your home. You can remotely monitor the security status of your home from anywhere. You can easily retrieve the footage and view the activities that happened around your home while you were away.
2.Whether to Buy a Smart Lock with Fingerprint?
When buying a smart lock, consider one with programmable biometrics. It is one of the best security features you can install in your property. Also, ensure it is programmable so that you can grant access to authorized people in your home or an office with sensitive data.
Unauthorized people will not be able to unlock the door. The biometric system scans the blood flow, the capillaries, the sweat glands, which ensures strict security and no one can access the restricted area without authorization.
3.Whether to Buy a Smart Lock That Works with Ring Alarm
Smart locks have an alarm ring system installed. The ring alarm will go off to alert you of a security breach. Additionally, the alarm will alert you in case of smoke in case of fire, toxic gases or even a natural disaster. For instance, some brands of smart locks can sense a rise in temperatures and automatically open up the doors. To beef up all round security, consider a smart lock with a ring system.
4.Whether to Buy a Smart Lock with Key or Keypad?
The best thing to do is to buy a smart lock with both smart and physical unlocking and locking features. Wireless features such as Wi-Fi, biometrics and Bluetooth are great. However, in the events you cannot access the smart features you can rely on the physical security features such as the key and a keypad.
What Type of Door You Can Install a Smart Lock?
Different types of doors require a specialized type of smart lock. Here is the smart lock guide based on the type of the door.
- Front Door-you can use any type of smart locks for the front and the back door.However, ensure the lock system is designed to withstand different weather conditions. Also, when considering the smart locks for the external doors consider whether if you need the left-handed lever handle-sets or the right-handed lever handle-sets.
- Sliding Glass Door-the best smart lock to install on a sliding glass door is the 2-way keyless locks. There are not much smart locks available for these types of doors.
- Bedroom Door-You can install any type of smart locks for your bedroom and other interior doors. You just need to check the labels to ensure they are designed for interior doors. Additionally, ensure that the locks match with the interior décor and other hardware finishing of your home.
- Patio Door-Like all other doors, you can install any type of smart locks. However, if it is a sliding door, you do not have a lot options when it comes to smart locks.
- Outdoor Gate-when buying a smart lock for your outdoor consider the locks that have been specially made to withstand various weather conditions. Basically, you can consider smart locks with both smart and physical unlocking and locking features.
Top 6 Smart Locks and Reviews
1.August Wi-Fi Smart Lock
- Lock Type: Deadbolt
- Smart Home Compatibility and voice commands: Alexa, Google Home, Apple Home Kit
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Number Pad: Optional
- Alarm: No
- Codes: Unlimited
- App: Yes
The August Wi-Fi Smart Lock comes tops of the smart locks. First, it is easy to install and comes with an easy to understand installation manual. Also, although it is small sized and easy to use, it is highly efficient at keeping your doors secure. This model of the August Smart Lock is 45% is smaller compared to the previous model.
The August smart lock is compatible with voice commands such as Amazon Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, and other smart home integrations. Also, you can use a keypad for locking and unlocking, but that is sold separately. Another feature of this lock is that you can lock and unlock it using fingerprints or face using your phone biometric recognition.
Additionally, you get other amazing features with this device such as a DoorSense which notifies you when the door is left open. You can still use keys on the existing deadbolt lock. The August smart lock is powered by double CR123 batteries.
Pros and Cons
- Compatible with Smart Home Features such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Google Nest among others
- Easy and fast to install. You can do a DIY and no need for a professional. You can install it on the existing deadbolt.
- Smart and sleek design which comes in two finishes and can easily complement the design and décor styles of most doors.
- The lock and auto lock feature enhances more security and offers the user convenience.
- It is pricey
2.Kwikset Halo Smart Lock
- Item Weight:3.68 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 3.99 x 4.24 x 9.74 inches
- Style: Touchscreen
- Finish: Satin Nickel
- App: Android and iOS
- Material: Metal
- Pattern: Lock
- Batteries Included: Yes
- Connectivity: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Integrations/ voice commands: Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant
- Alarm system: Yes
- Codes: unlimited
- Lock type: Deadbolt
Another smart lock you can trust for the security of your home or office is the Kwikset Halo Smart lock. This lock offers the user several methods of unlocking and locking the door. You can use voice commands such as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, or Siri. You can unlock the locks by entering an unlocking code on the screen, or by using a traditional key, and through mobile app.
The Kwikset Halo allows you to create up to 250 unlocking codes that you can easily reset.
With the mobile app, you can view the lock and unlocking activity and receive notifications on the activities of the lock.
The Kwikset Halo Smart Lock supports Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. The downside of this smart lock is that it does not offer third party integrations like in August Wi-Fi Smart Lock.
Pros and Cons
- You can create a wide range of customizable access codes for guests
- Made with extremely durable material
- Supports home smart systems such as Wi-Fi and voice commands with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- The touchscreen is sometimes temperamental
- Installation is a bit hard
- It has limited third party integrations
3.Schlage Smart Lock
- Lock Type: Deadbolt
- Smart Home Compatibility: Alexa, Google Home, Amazon key program
- Home Kit Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- Keypad: Included
- Alarm: Yes
- Codes: 100
- App: Yes
The Schlage Smart Lock system is most suitable for the front door. It comes in two designs; the squarish Century Trim and the Camelot both with a variety of finishes.
Installing this smart lock is easy and straight forward. However, unlike some smart locks that you can install on old deadbolt locks, this one requires fresh installation. It has keypad which clear and bright even when its sunny.
It has an alarm system which goes off in case of an intrusion or security breach. In normal occasions when you touch the button, it responds with a beep sound.
You can use up to 100 codes on the lock system. Also, you can create virtual keys for guests and disable them later.
Additionally, it has an inbuilt Wi-Fi system and Bluetooth connectivity. Other smart features include, the Schlage Home app for iOS or Android, Google Assistant, Alexa, Amazon Key, a Ring Video Doorbell.
Pros and Cons
- Good Integrations
- Highly Durable
- Four to Eight Digit Code Programming
- Voice commands: Amazon Alexa
- Multiple Access
- Easy to install and use
- It is compatible with the Z-wave Connect technology
No HomeKit Integration
4.Google Nest x Yale Lock
- Lock type: Deadbolt
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
- Smart Home Compatibility: Google Home &Assistant, Nest
- Dimensions: 4.59 x 2.59 x 0.8 inches
- Batteries: 4 AA batteries required
- Style: Satin Nickel
- Alarm: No
- Display Style: LED
- Number Pad: Included
- Codes: Unlimited
The Nest- Yale smart locks are beautifully designed, sleek, classy and stylish. It is extremely easy to install and to use. It is a worthwhile investment for the security of your home.
The lock comes with a keypad which allows you to conveniently open the doors without a need for keys.
The Nest X Yale smart lock does not come with internet connectivity. However, you can buy the Nest Connect which comes at an extra cost of $30. With the nest connect, you can operate the lock remotely through your phone or the codes.
If you are looking for an attractive to compliment your modern home, consider the Nest X Yale lock.
Pros and Cons
- Secure, convenient and easy to use
- Easy to install and it requires minimal efforts
- Sleek and impressive modern design
- Low-battery alerts
- Does not connect directly to the Wi-Fi
5.Simplisafe Smart Lock
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi and RF Radio
- Integrations: Amazon Alexa
- Installation: Interior Escutcheon
- App: Mobile and Web
- Geofencing or Location Services: No
- Guest Access features: Yes
- Interference Alarm: No
- Touchpad: Yes
- Voice Activation: Yes
If you are looking for an extremely sleek and compact designed smart lock, look no further. Like most smart locks, the Simplisafe is easy to install and use. Also, unlike most other smart locks, this smart lock does not have scheduling options. Additionally, you will require the SimpliSafe security system. A plus with this smart lock system is that you can incorporate it with your old or traditional lock system.
The smart lock system is compatible with the voice commands such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
It has a backlit keypad system with 0-9 buttons and the delete and lock button. You can create unique pins and share it with family or friends. The downside of this smart lock is that it does not integrate with third parties.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to set up and install
- You can install it on the existing hardware
- Impressive sleek and modern
- Convenient and easy to use
- Does not have a lot of advanced smart features
6.Eufy Smart Lock
- Lock type: Keypad Lock and Biometric Lock
- Item Weight: 3.53 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 6.26 x 2.8 x 1.06 inches
- Fingerprint Lock: Yes
- Unlocking Methods: Four ways i.e. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Android, iOS App, Fingerprint, and Passcode.
- Keypad: Touchscreen
- Smart Features: Fingerprint and Bluetooth
- Waterproof: Yes, IP65
- Material: Zinc
- Voice commands: Alexa Support and Google Assistants
- Shape: Rectangular
- Batteries Included: Yes
- Batteries Required: Yes
- Compatible with Wi-Fi Bridge (sold separately)
The Eufy Smart Lock is stylish and sleek. It is easy to install and use. The smart lock allows the user to lock and unlock the door with ease as compared to fumbling the keys. You can lock and unlock the door using your phone, fingerprints, your voice, and keys.
The Eufy smart lock comes with interior and exterior escutcheons, strike and deadbolt assembly, an assorted assembly package, and keys.
The smart lock has a IP65 weatherproof rating. It has a smart fingerprint scanner, a 0 to 9 button keypad with additional two buttons for lock and enter.
The lock runs on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery which lasts for up to 10 months on a single full charge.
The Eufy smart lock system is compatible with voice commands such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Additionally, you can integrate with devices such as motion sensors, doorbell, and cameras.
Also, you can use the Eufy Lock System with Android and iOS devices to lock and unlock the door. The downside of this smart lock is that it has limited third party integrations.
Pros and Cons
- Built-in Wi-Fi System
- Compatible with voice commands such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- It has an advanced integrated fingerprint reader
- Easy to install and streamlined hardware operation
- It is not compatible with HomeKit or IFTTT
- It has minimal third-party integrations
1.Manual：How to reset a smart lock?
If you want to reset your smart lock to factory settings, that means it will erase all the important data such as passwords and codes. Generally, when unlocking a smart lock of any brand, start by removing the battery. However, to be more specific, lets reset the August Smart Lock.
Go to the August App and click on the lock circle screen which indicates whether the door is locked or not. Go to settings menu and select the lock you want to reset. Select the factory reset and choose reset lock.
If you are trying to reset a smart lock that was previously used by another person. This method might not work. Contact the previous owner so that they can authorize the resetting. Watch how to reset your August lock here:
2.Manual: How to Install a Smart Lock?
Installing the smart locks on doors is pretty easy for most brands of smart locks. You just need to read the installation manual to understand how to go about it.
It a simple yet fun DIY that you can undertake. Here are the steps for installing a smart lock.
1.Start by removing the traditional deadbolt (although with some smart locks this is not necessary). You can simply use a screwdriver or a drill to remove it.
2.Istall the smart lock. Once you have successfully removed the old lock, install the new lock. Start by putting the latch on the door and screw it on the door.
Then, place the smart lock on the latch and secure it in its place.
3.Put in place the inside components
Ensure the interior components of the smart lock are in place. For instance, ensure the wiring and the electric components are well secured in their rightful place. Remember to install the batteries on the lock.
Once you are done test the lock and ensure it is functioning properly.
3.Finally, program the lock. Download the corresponding mobile app on your device. If the smart lock has a keypad, enter the default code. Initiate the automatic set up of the lock. Once it’s done, test to ensure it is working properly. You can make a few adjustments to meet your needs.
Watch how to install a smart lock video:
3.Manual: How to Set Up Wi-Fi on a Wi-Fi Smart Lock?
Setting up Wi-Fi on your smart lock is simple and should only take a few minutes. For instance, if you are installing Wi-Fi on your lock, follow these simple steps:
- Go to August Home App
- Click on the Menu Icon
- Go to settings
- Then go to Set Up August connect
- Click on start scanning to connect to the Wi-Fi
- Then, enter your Wi-Fi password
- It will indicate that it is connecting and indicate when it has finished.
- Click the done icon
Watch this video to set up Wi-Fi on your August smart lock:
4.Manual：How to Change Battery of a Smart Lock?
If your smart lock is indicating low battery, it’s time to replace it with fully charged batteries. You can continue using the lock even when the batteries are depleted. You can use the keys to lock and unlock the door. If you want to continue using the smart features, you will require fresh batteries.
Start by removing the old batteries.
Locate the screws and remove them to access the battery slot. Safely remove the old batteries and replace them with new batteries.
Place back the cover and you are good to go.
Watch the following and learn how you can replace the old batteries:
5.Why My Smart Lock Not Working
There are several reasons that may occasion failure of your smart lock to not function or work inappropriately. One of the major reasons include the user forgetting the pin, password, the keypad code or the patterns. Another reason why your smart lock is not working is due to connectivity issues. Ensure the Wi-Fi connection is working well.
Also, check the battery to ensure it is charged. If the batteries are dead, consider replacing them.
If this happens, you need to reset the smart lock. Resetting will erase all the existing data and information including the passwords and codes.
In most cases, you can troubleshoot a smart lock that is not working. Generally, the troubleshooting process is almost similar for all the smart locks.
If you want to troubleshoot the August smart look, here’s the process:
In most cases, to fix a problem in the lock, you need to reset it. Use the red reset on the lock. Press the red button continuously for about five seconds or until the light on the red button goes off. When the lock reboots, it will indicate a long green flash light. Use the August App to set the home kit again.
Check the following video and learn how to troubleshoot a problematic smart lock;