The Kwikset Smart locks are among the leading brand in the security locks industry. If you are looking to upgrade the security of your home. All the Kwikset smart locks are easy to install and are equipped with smart features such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, are compatible with voice commands among other top tier smart features.
The overall best Kwikset smart lock is the Halo smart lock. If you are looking for a highly efficient smart lock with high technology, you should consider the Kwikset Halo smart lock.
In this article, we shall consider in details all the aspects and features of this smart lock and whether it is a good security investment for your doors.
Kwikset Halo Smart Lock Review
The Kwikset Halo Smart lock features top tier tech features that allows you to operate the lock remotely. To access the remote features of this smart lock, you do not need to buy an extra console. The Kwikset Halo is the only smart lock in the Kwikset Smart lock series that enables you to access remote features without purchasing extra gadgets.
Hal smart lock allows the use to create up to 250 codes to allows different users to lock and unlock the door. You can disable these passcodes anytime. Additionally, it gives the user multiple options for locking and unlocking the door as discussed further in the article.
- Item Weight: 3.72 pounds
- Integrations: Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Product Dimensions: 3.99 x 4.24 x 9.74 inches
- Style: Touchscreen
- Finish: Polished
- Installation: Exterior Escutcheon and Interior Escutcheon
- Connectivity: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Material: Metal
- Pattern Lock: Yes
- Tamper alarm system: Yes
- Guest Access: Yes
- Shape: Rectangular
The Kwikset Halo smart lock is easy to install. However, it is relatively harder to install compared to other top tier smart locks such as August Wi-Fi Smart Lock that you can install on your existing traditional deadbolt.
With Kwikset Halo lock, you must first remove the old deadbolt to make room for this system. Once you have properly installed the smart lock and tested it, you can download the app on your mobile and configure it with the Wi-Fi and Home Assistant systems. The whole installation process is faster and will only take a few minutes of your time. Read the installation manual to get it right and install it faster.
Design and Features
The Halo smart lock is designed for all type of doors with a thickness of 1-3/8 to 2 inches. This lock system comes with an interior and exterior escutcheons, latch and strike, AA batteries, and one pair of keys.
The exterior escutcheon is sleek and comes with four finishes the Matte Black, Satin Nickel Polished Chrome and Venetian Bronze. It gives you an option of unlocking and locking using the touchscreen feature and traditional keys.
Additionally, the touchscreen is well lit and the user can clearly see it even on sunny days. It has the Kwikset’s SecureScreen technology which generates two random numbers the user needs to tap before keying in the four digit pass code. This feature ensures maximum security and makes it hard for intruders to access the code.
It has an installed alarm system which goes off in case the enters wrong passcode three times consecutively. The screen on the lock is automatically disabled for 60 seconds when this happens.
When you change the passcode, you will receive an email or an SMS with the new code.
Methods of Locking and Unlocking Kwikset Halo Smart Lock
- The Keys- one of the ways you can lock and unlock your door is by using the traditional keys. Kwikset Halo Smart Lock comes with a pair of keys which allows you to open the door manually. Although you can use the manual keys, this smart lock comes with a Kwikset-patented technology which safeguards it against advanced break-in trends. The owner can re-key the locks in just a few seconds.
- The Kwikset App- Another way to lock and unlock your door is by using the app. To use the app, you must have Wi-Fi access and a mobile iOS or Android device installed with Kwikset App. The app enables you to monitor the activities of the lock, to lock and unlock the door from anywhere, receive notifications and alerts, and manage the pass codes.
- Code Entry- the Kwikset smart lock allows you to create up to 250 access codes to allow family and friends to unlock and lock the door. You can change these access codes at any time you wish. You can create the access code that lasts for 24 hours, for limited one-time use, and for as long as it’s necessary.
Kwikset Home Integrations
The Kwikset Halo smart lock integrates well with the smart home features. It is compatible with Google Home and Amazon Alexa. These voice commands allow you use voice commands to unlock and lock the door. The downside of this smart lock is that it does not support HomeKit or the Apple Smart home system.
Pros and Cons of Kwikset Halo Smart Lock
- Straightforward to install and use
- The keypad is easy to use and manage
- The app is straightforward and convenient to operate
- The user can rekey the system thanks to the Smartkey system
- Built-in Wi-Fi system
- Supports voice commands with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- A sleek and stylish design
- Does not support the HomeKit and IFTTT
- It has limited third-party integrations
The Kwikset Halo Smart Lock system is one of the best, safest, and smart lock system you can install in your home or office. It has an impressive sleek design which easily complements the design and décor of other hardware of around your home or office.
The Kwikset smart lock offers the user multiple methods of locking and unlocking the door. It is fitted with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections which allows you to operate and monitor the lock from anywhere using your smart device. It is equipped with the Smartkey technology which makes it hard for burglars and intruders to break into your home. So, if you are looking for a worthwhile security investment for your doors, the Kwikset Halo smart lock will surely not disappoint.
1.How to reset the kwikset smart lock?
If you have lost your phone or the passcodes of your smart lock, you need to reset the lock system to continue using it. When you reset the code, you will lose all the information you have saved about the lock such as pass codes. Here’s the procedure for unlocking the Kwikset smart lock.
- Before you initiate the reset process, ensure the door is unlocked. This is to ensure you are not locked out or inside incase the reset process does not go as planned.
- Remove the batteries
- Press while holding the reset button continuously for 10 seconds until you hear a beep sound.
- Replace the battery compartment while you are still holding the button. Keep on holding the button for up to 30 seconds.
- Press the program button again to confirm that the reset process is complete.
- Test to ensure the resetting process is successfully complete. You can test it using the lock button. If the lock system fails to lock, the resetting process was successful.
- You can now initiate the process of creating new passcodes and configuring the lock to your smartphone and the WIFI connections.
2.How to change the kwikset smart lock battery?
Replacing or installing batteries to the Kwikset smart lock is easy and straightforward.
- Remove the cover to access the battery compartment.
- Remove the battery holder
- Remove the old batteries
- Replace it with new batteries
- Reinstall the battery compartment and replace the cover and screw it back in place
- Once you are done with the installation, test the lock to see if it is working appropriately.
For further information on how to change the batteries on your Kwikset Halo Smart lock watch the following video:
3.Why is my kwikset smart lock not working?
There are several factors that can cause your Kwikset Lock not to function as expected. The following are major possible reasons for the malfunction and how to fix it.
- You have not set the access code- if you have not created a locking and unlocking code, the smart lock will not work. Once you have installed or reset the smart lock, create a code.
- The passcode has expired or it is incorrect- Another possible reason why your smart lock is not working as required are is you are either entering the wrong code or the pass code has expired. Use the Kwikset app to ensure the code you are using is still valid or correct.
- You have entered the wrong code three times-if you have entered the wrong code three times consecutively, the lock will automatically lock you out for 60 seconds.
- The battery is too low or dead- check the battery to ensure it is fully charged if the lock is not working.