One of the staple gym equipment you see on the gym and at home is the treadmill. If the treadmill is the only gym equipment you have at home, you can still lose weight and achieve your fitness goals. Whether you are a beginner or experienced at working out, treadmill exercises can help you lose weight.
There are several treadmill workouts you can do to burn calories, stay fit and healthy and lose weight. If you want to lose weight using a treadmill machine, use the following exercises.
Walk and Jog Intervals
The walk and jog intervals are ideal simple exercises for people who are starting to use the treadmill. Also, you can use this exercise if you are recovering from an injury or getting back on the grid after sometime.
You should start slowly without pushing your body so much. As you start getting used to the exercise, you can gradually increase the speed and intensity.
Here’s how to do the walk and jog intervals on the treadmill:
- Start by walking for one minute
- Jog for one minute- you can jog for additional time and speed to get your heart rate up and start breathing heavy.
- Walk again for a minute
Keep on alternating running and jogging for 20 to 30 minutes. While listening to your body, increase the walking and jogging pace. You can start jogging more and doing less walks. Once you feel qualified, you can start the sprints.
The treadmill sprints are similar to jog and walking. However, they are a bit more intense. You will run a longer distance and faster. Here’s how to do it:
- Hop on the already moving treadmill. Use the handrails for support and stability. Once you have settled in let go of the rails.
- Sprint for approximately 15 seconds.
- Rest for about 45 seconds
- Repeat the above steps around 7 to 10 seconds
Tip: When starting out, run on a low speed, you can adjust it upwards once you are used to it.
Exercising using Jacobs ladder treadmill enables you to build strength, mobility and stability. Additionally, you it helps you burn more calories, build muscles and lose weight in the long run. If your treadmill has this feature, climb on the rungs as you would climb on a staircase or a ladder.
Step on each run at a time. Start with low speed and increase gradually as your body continues to gain strength and endurance. To increase the speed, climb into it fast and maintain the momentum. If you want it to go slower, hop into the rungs slowly.
The Hill workout involves increasing and adjusting the incline of the treadmill. The benefits of adding hills or incline on the treadmill workouts are:
1.Burns fat-walking or running on more than 2% incline increases your chances your burning more calories than running on a level belt. Walking at a speed of 3 mph on an incline can help you burn up to 70 percent more fat.
- Improved cardiovascular health- walking, jogging, or running on an incline increases the heart rate to 60 to 80 percent. Keeping the heart rate keeps the heart healthy and the general body.
- Builds Muscles
If you want to build more muscles, consider exercising on an incline. Incline increases activation of the leg muscles. The muscles that are targeted include the calves, hamstrings, and glutes. Spending more time exercising on an incline helps in toning your muscles faster.
Here’s how to work out on an incline:
- Start the treadmill while you straddle, just like you did for the sprints.
- Start treadmill running, on an incline you are most comfortable. Also, run at a pace that can challenge. Run for about 20 seconds.
- Take a rest for 10 seconds.
- Get back on treadmill and continue running for another 4 minutes.
- Continue exercising and resting while listening to your body.
10 Minute HIIT Workout
HIIT or High-Intensity Interval Training is a highly effective exercise for burning high amount of calories and lose weight. According to a 2017 research, HIIT exercise are great for burning calories compared to doing long and continuous exercises. Further research indicates that the body will burn more calories even after the HIIT workouts are over.
HIIT involves a workout that alternates high-intensity training followed short recovery periods. This exercise boosts the heart rate which results into burning calories within a short period. Also, while the body is embarking on rest after a HIIT workout, it metabolizes the body fat and releases energy.
Additionally, HIIT work outs intensity promote repair cycle. That way, your body ends up burning more calories as compared to longer and intense exercises.
Another benefit of doing a 10 HIIT workout is that you will have reduced appetite. The intense workout reduces the body ghrelin level – the fat gaining hormone which increases your appetite.
Here’s how to do a 10 minute HIIT exercises on the treadmill to lose weight:
1.Walk on the treadmill for 2 minutes at 2.0 MPH at 0 percent incline for about 3 to 5 minutes to warm up.
2.Run for 30 seconds at a speed of 9 to 10 mph. Then do a one-minute walk at a speed of 3 to 4 mph.
3.Repeat the steps above for about 5 to 10 times.
- At the final minutes of the exercise, walk for 5 minutes at a speed of 2mph.
With the above four exercises, you can effectively lose weight on the treadmill. Once you are past the beginner stages, you can challenge yourself with more intense workouts for even better results.
What Other Exercises Should I Do On the Treadmill to Lose Weight?
Here are the types of exercises you can do on the treadmill to lose weight:
- A 5-Minute Incline Treadmill Walk
Set an incline range of 12 to 15 percent and run at a speed of 2.0-3.5 mph. You can add weight to this exercise to make it short and highly effective. Since this exercise targets the core. Keep your core tight and well engaged.
- Start by walking for two minutes at a speed of 2.0 mph and an incline of 12%. Use 3 pounds’ dumbbells.
- Next for another minute at a speed of 2.5 mph and an incline of 15% with 5 pound dumbbells.
- Walk for another minute at as speed of 3.0 mph and an incline of 14% with 8 pounds’ dumbbells
- Finally, walk for another minute at a speed of 3.5 mph and at an incline of 15%. You can hold onto the handrails to keep your balance.
- 20-Minute Interval Workout
Start by a 2-3 minute warm up exercise. Use the next 16 minutes doing a one minute of slow running and a minute of fast running. When doing the fast interval, use the speed range of 7 to 9 mph and when doing the slow run, use a speed range of 5 to 6 mph.
- 75-60-30-Second Interval Workout
This workout is pretty intense and it requires you to do a good warmup before you can jump into the main exercise. Then, jog for about one minute at a speed of 5.0 to 6.5 mph. You can use an incline of up to 3%. Remember to drink water before you begin.
- Start with 75 seconds. Run at 1% incline for one minute straight at a speed of 2 mph. for the next 15 seconds, walk moderately.
- Do another 75 seconds at the same speed but at incline of 3% and a minute of gentle walking.
- 60 seconds- Now it’s time to do the 60 seconds sessions. Do the similar to the 75 seconds sessions. However, increase the speed by 0.5. Finish by doing a one-minute walk.
- Do another 60 seconds session by increasing the incline to 3%
- Finally, do the 30 seconds session. Do sprints for 30 seconds on and off alternating. Repeat the exercise three times at an incline of 1%, 3%, and 5%.
- To complete the workout, walk at an 3% incline, then at 2%, and at 1%.
Check out for more exercises that you do on a treadmill to lose weight.
1.How long should you go on a treadmill to lose weight?
Losing weight on a treadmill is easy and efficient. There are some exercises that will help you burn more calories. To lose a substantial weight one should at least 300 miles. So, walking approximately 40 minutes every day can help you burn around one kg a week.
2.How can I lose weight in a month on a treadmill?
You can lose up to 10-15 pounds working out on a treadmill. However, there are several determining factors on how much weight you can lose within a given time. First, if you combine good eating practices and committed workouts, you are bound to lose substantial amount of pounds. Take note of the exercises that will help you lose weight faster.