What is under desk treadmill?
Walking treadmills are a fantastic way of improving your health without impacting your work productivity too much. If you have resolved to become more active in 2022 these under-desk treadmills will add additional movement to your everyday workout. When you pair a good walking treadmill with a standing desk you can check your emails, watch your favorite TV shows or even respond to your clients. Most of us do not have a dedicated area for a treadmill. Many people do not have the time to go for a brisk walk around the block. Therefore, getting a walk as you work is a terrific alternative for home workers trying to remain healthy and fit.
Why should I need an under-desk treadmill? Benefit of it.
The most important benefit of under desk treadmill is an obvious one. It is a terrific way of avoiding having to sit for too long. There are many negative effects involved in sitting for too long in a day and these effects can kill you. There is clear evidence available that says sitting for more than 6 hours every day increases the risk of early death. So, it is significant to find ways of being more active at work. Under the desk, treadmills are one such alternative. Apart from burning calories and keeping you active, these under-desk treadmills can aid in avoiding back and neck pain. One of the studies found that the use of under-desk treadmills also resulted in better short-term memory and better attention for employees sitting in simulated offices. Under-desk treadmills can be used by people that already have a desk and will not have to purchase a standing desk/treadmill combination. There are many people these days using these treadmills at work.
The 5 Best Under Desk Treadmills of 2022
- Lifespan TR1200-DT3: The TR1200-DT3 is one of the most popular under desk treadmills from Lifespan. These treadmills are designed to support small teams or single users both. They can be used for sessions for up to 6 hours. There are 6 impact-absorbing shock absorbers available for dampening the noise when you are walking. There is an automatic stop available if you step off the device. This gives a swift silent environment and safety for taking calls. The console for this treadmill is a bit large but it enables the machine with a few touches. It can display different stats such as steps, calories, and distance. There is Bluetooth connectivity available for uploading the results to the LifeSpan Active Track fitness app.
- iMovR ThermoTread GT: This under desk treadmill was designed specifically for walking desks in a working environment. This machine was developed as a response to increasing health issues due to fixed office jobs. The company claims that this is the first treadmill designed for the office environment instead of a gym. This is one of the sturdiest machines available on the market. It supports a maximum user weight of 400 lbs. and sports a commercial-grade 3.0 HP motor that works silently for avoiding noisy distractions. There is a desk-mounted touch screen console available and you get 6 compression shocks under the surface that provide great support during the sessions. You can store data for 5 users by using the control console.
- Sunny Health & Fitness Walkstation: This is one of the better cheap treadmills available in the market. But, despite the low cost, there are many features available on the machine. This under-desk treadmill comes completely assembled and it can be utilized out of the box. There is a built-in monitor for displaying the steps, distance walked, calories burnt, and current speed. There is an automatic shut-off on the machine so, you can just step away and the treadmill will close down within ten minutes. The weight limit for the treadmill is 220 lbs. and it is small in size. You can store the treadmill under the sofa or bed. This makes it a great alternative for those not wishing for a permanent setup. The Walkstation Slim is operated by using a remote control.
- Lifespan TR800-DT3: This is a great alternative for those who already have a standing desk and are looking for introducing light exercise to the routine. The TR800 DT3 is capable of supporting up to 200 lbs. There is a quiet motor available for preventing frustrating noises when it is in use. The overall weight of the treadmill is 96 lbs. however, it has a couple of front-mounted wheels that permit easy movement in the office or home. It is not possible to walk at an incline. This is not recommended in any way. But the treadmill is only 60.5 inches in length and 26 inches wide. So, it will fit under the standing desk snugly. There is a DT3 console available that can sit on the desk displaying calories burnt, distance traveled, steps taken, etc.
- Inmovement Unsit: This is one of the better alternatives in the premium sector of under desk treadmills. The machine was specifically designed to be used in an office environment instead of in gym conditions. Therefore, you may expect plenty of features related to noise suppression and better space utility. This model many times is described as being library quiet. It is built wider than most other models in the sector so, you get more space during the workouts. You can use the dial console available to connect with the smartphone by using an app. This treadmill has a max weight capacity of 400 lbs. and comes with a lifetime guarantee of the frame. It is developed to last long.
How to choose the best under desk treadmill?
You need to understand what kind of workstation will suit you personally for your intentions and needs. There are environment and fitting considerations to ensure that you are selecting a perfect treadmill. Here are some primary considerations you must take into account while buying an under-desk treadmill.
1. The purpose of buying the treadmill desk.
2. Space requirements involved in a treadmill workstation.
3. The kind of treadmill desk you need.
4. Dimensions of the current standing desk.
5. Height of the standing desk.
6. The price of your treadmill desk.
7. Noise of the under-desk treadmill.
9. Requirement of remote control.
10. Bluetooth connectivity.
11. Portability of the desk.
13. Maintenance considerations.
14. Comfort of using the under-desk treadmill.
15. Treadmill workstation handle
17. Weight capacity of the treadmill.
How to Use a Treadmill Desk
Generally speaking, you will find experts recommend that you walk one to two mph when you are working. Trying to walk more than this will make it tough to use a mouse or type. You might even become sweaty during the working period. Use proper shoes for promoting the right posture. These shoes need to be comfortable and must not damage the treadmill belt. During a working day, several people may walk on the treadmill both standing and sitting. Some activities are possible while walking such as talking on the mobile, reading, or watching TV. But others need greater concentration when you are standing or sitting.
Another alternative you can use is buying a standing mat that can be placed over the treadmill. This will allow you to stand when you are not walking. Remember, this means you are adding a couple of inches to your height. Therefore, you need to ensure that the desk can accommodate the additional weight. In case you are forced to look down at the monitor due to the desk being too low, or you are compelled to lean forward while typing, you are going to end up getting neck and back pain.
Can you lose weight with a treadmill desk?
The answer to the question is yes. But the weight a person can lose while using a treadmill desk varies significantly from person to person. It depends on many factors apart from the simplicity of use of the under-desk treadmill at the time of working hours. The key to weight loss while using a treadmill desk lies in engaging in some additional exercise during the week. You also need to maintain a healthy diet together with treadmill use. The more time you can provide for the walks, the better results you are going to get. But, if you can spend a couple of hours every day walking at the desk, you are sure to achieve great results over a period. Some people can spend five to six hours daily walking. They can also maintain a healthy diet together with this exercise to achieve greater results. Here are some tips for losing weight by using the standing desk.
- Maintain yourself cool and hydrated.
- Raise your walking speed gradually. Ensure that it does not affect the work activity and typing accuracy.
- Stand while working when you are not walking rather than sitting.
There is more information available on the walking office desks on the internet as well.